Read: Romans 13:14
God sent His only begotten son Jesus in this world, that we should believe in Him, not perish and have eternal life (John 3:16). Jesus came to this earth as a human being, bearing the nature of a servant being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to death – even death on a cross! (Phil. 2:7-8).
We are to have the mindset of Jesus Christ. Though He was God, He humbled Himself and was obedient to His Heavenly Father. In our daily life, are we trying to represent Jesus? Are we putting on Jesus Christ daily or just in church? For an interview or wedding, we try to put on our best outfit, apt for the occasion. Likewise, are we putting on Jesus to meet Him in heaven? He is a Holy God and cannot tolerate any form of sin. God wants us not to continue in our sinful nature, but to put on Jesus Christ.
Some of the traits needed to put on Jesus Christ are:
- Be humble (Phil. 2:3-4) – “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Instead, in humility value others above yourselves,not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.”
- Let all that you do, be done in love (1 Cor. 16:14).
- Let your love be genuine (Rom. 12:9).
- Love one another in brotherly affection (Rom. 12:10).
- Bless and pray for those who persecute you or say evil against you as Jesus did (Matt. 5:44).
- Do not repay evil with evil, but repay evil with good (Rom. 12:17).
- If your enemy is hungry, feed him (Rom. 12:20).
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your understanding. Always acknowledge God (Prov. 3:4-6). Be anxious about nothing (Phil. 4:6).
- Pray without ceasing and make your requests with prayer, supplication and thanksgiving known to God, whether big or small (1 Thess. 5:17; Phil. 4:6-7).
Brethren, can we make a conscious effort to put on Jesus Christ daily?